To: All Stern Labs Employee’s and Visitors
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a form of coronavirus believed to have originated in Wuhan, China. Those who are infected may have little or no symptoms. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to a cold or flu and include fever, fatigue, cough and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, COVID-19 may cause pneumonia, kidney failure and death. According to guidance published by Health Canada and the World Health Organization as of the date hereof, symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19. Most people recover from COVID-19 without needing special medical treatment. The likelihood that a person will become severely ill as a result of COVID-19 is higher in elderly people and people that have a weakened immune system.
How to protect yourself
Corona viruses are spread mainly from person to person through close contact, for example, in a household, workplace or health care centre. There is no vaccine available to protect against the 2019 novel coronavirus. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses. Take these everyday steps to reduce exposure to the virus, protect your health and slow the spread through the community:
- WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN WITH SOAP AND WATER OR ALCOHOL-BASED HAND SANITIZER
- INCREASE FREQUENCY OF CLEANING/DISINFECTING HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS AND COMMONLY TOUCHED ITEMS
- SNEEZE AND COUGH INTO YOUR SLEEVE
- AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES, NOSE OR MOUTH
- AVOID CONTACT WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK
- STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK
- PHYSICAL DISTANCING (MAINTAIN 2M/ 6FT DISTANCE FROM OTHERS)
- AVOID TRAVEL AND ALSO AVOID GATHERINGS EXCEEDING THE APPROVED PROVINCIAL GUIDELINE (UNLESS YOU LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD)
- CLEAN PHONES AND OTHER DEVICES REGULARLY
- UTILIZE WORKPLACE TOOL SANITIZING STATIONS
- WHEN PHYSICAL DISTANCING IS A CHALLENGE WEAR APPROPRIATE PPE AND LIMIT TIME
What to do if you notice symptoms:
Anyone who begins to feel unwell (fever, new cough or difficulty breathing) or if you believe you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 symptoms, you should begin to self-isolate for a period of 14 days immediately. People who are self-isolating should seek clinical assessment over the phone – either by calling their primary care provider’s office or Telehealth Ontario, numbers are listed below.
Before going to an Assessment Centre, you should take the following steps:
- Complete a self-assessment at “www.ontario.ca/coronavirus” to determine if it is necessary to contact public health, your doctor or Telehealth Ontario for more guidance.
- If the self-assessment indicates that clinical assessment is necessary, for further guidance contact:
- Your doctor
- Hamilton Public Health Services COVID-19 Hotline at 905-974-9848
- Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000
- If a referral is provided by your doctor, public health or Telehealth, you will be booked to visit an Assessment Centre.
VISITORS TO STERN LABORATORIES
Taking extra precautions in allowing visitors to enter our workplace is important for us in limiting exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace. Stern Labs reserves the right to require visitors to wear suitable PPE prior to entry, to provide information in advance as to whether they have flu-like symptoms, have been in contact with anyone infected with COVID-19, or travelled to a high-risk area. If a visitor answers affirmatively to any of these questions, Stern Labs may consider requesting the visitor not come to our workplace until they have been asymptomatic for 14 days or can provide a clearance letter from a physician. Stern Labs may also ask any visitor to provide their contact information in the event that COVID-19 develops in the workplace and the visitor may have been exposed to COVID-19.
*The above Information was provided from the websites below dated 2020-05-21